Thank You for your interest in the South Orange County Gem and Mineral Society!
MUCH TO OFFER, MUCH TO SHARE
Our club offers monthly, open-to-the-public meetings with stimulating, expert speakers and time to meet fellow rock hounds, gem lovers, and earth science enthusiasts.
Field trips, a members-only library, lapidary classes, and more!
All meetings are free to attend and open to all – join us!
Founded in 1962, The South Orange County Gem and Mineral Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to stimulating interest in the earth sciences and lapidary arts by furthering the knowledge of its members and the public, by disseminating knowledge methods and procedures for the study, collections, and classification, of rocks, minerals and fossils, and the methods to cut, alter and fashion and convert earth science for specimens for lapidary purposes.
WE ARE AN ALL-VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATION
Members step up to do their share – We look to members for support of club activities, functions, and events. Membership is open to persons with an interest in rocks, minerals, gems, Earth sciences, lapidary, jewelry making, related areas of crafts or collecting, and a general desire to spend time with other enthusiasts.
We encourage you to JOIN US!
Each month club and community members are treated to special guest speakers – experts in their fields! Located in the multi-purpose room at the San Clemente Community Center (100 N. Calle Seville, San Clemente, 92672 – entrance on Avenida del Mar, next to the library), club meetings are held the 3rd Wednesday of the month, begin at 7:15pm, are free and open to the public.
Our Club serves San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, San Juan Capistrano, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Anaheim, Brea, Tustin, Orange, Buena Park, Ladera Ranch – and more.
Traveling and miss your local club and fellow enthusiasts? Join us for a meeting! It’s a great way to expand your circle of rock hounding and mineral sciences friends!
INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP $20/year
FAMILY MEMBERSHIP $30/year
CLICK HERE TO JOIN TODAY
- monthly meetings, with educated, engaging speakers (and delicious snacks)
- informative newsletter keeps you up to date on shows, field trips, special events, industry news, and more
- large library of books and dvds
- access to programs through CALIFORNIA FEDERATION OF MINERALOGICAL SOCIETIES and AMERICAN FEDERATION OF MINERALOGICAL SOCIETIES
- access to lapidary equipment and instruction
- field trips for rock hounding, educational tours (like GIA), rock shopping (like special holiday privileges at the Jewel Tunnel)
- annual holiday party
- and much more!
Rock Lovers grab your hammers – let’s get out and EXPLORE!
Join us for single and multiple day field trips to educational events, rock hunting excursions, and more.
Learn to cut, polish, and engrave stones and gems for jewelry making. Members have access to the equipment and the professionals!
Club members have access to many learning opportunities including expert guest speakers, skills demos, an extensive lending library, and more.
SOCGES is a 501(c)3 and run completely by volunteers. In addition to dues, our club relies on other kinds of member support and donations to operate and thrive.
Here are some of the ways our members can and do help:
- next time you are at a rock or gem show, pick up an extra piece for the club! we are always looking for donations for our Annual Silent Auction!
- invite a friend (or two) to a meeting
- take photos or video at a club meeting, event, or field trip – share them with the club (they may end up in the newsletter) and or on social media
- follow us on facebook! like and share club posts – this will help expand our exposure so we can reach more new friends/potential members!
- volunteer to chair (or co-chair) one of the many committees that help keep the whole machine moving organized and forward
- run for a club office
- write and article for the newsletter or our website
- bring a rock or gemstone, along with your supporting acumen, to the next meeting
- make a recommendation for a special guest speaker or general meeting topic
- volunteer to set up, work, or break down at one of our fundraisers (Annual Silent Auction, SC Art Fair)
- share information -through social media posts or by distributing flyers – about our events
- participate in one of our lapidary classes
- slicing slabs? donate a slab or two
- make beautiful jewelry? we are always looking for items to sell and auction at our fundraisers
- share your good ideas – about club activities, fundraising, workshops, speakers, all of it – we are always open, looking, and excited for new information to make the club better for all!